Reuse of purified grey waste water as an irrigation for the intensive green roofs containing biochar
Dr L Trakal
Dr Adam Sochacki
Assoc Prof Michael Pohorely
No more applications being accepted
Funded PhD Project (Students Worldwide)
The aim of the topic is laboratory testing of sorption of selected (commonly occurring) grey water contaminants on biochar resp. biochar mixed with a substrate suitable for intensive green roofs. In the next phase, the filtration ability of the treated substrate will be tested in a column experiment using real pre-purified grey water. In the last phase a model experiment will be carried out simulating a part of a real intensive green roof, where a number of measurements and sampling of soil water will be performed.
Background and Obligations of Ph.D. student:
• Four-year study; time flexibility; active participation at international conferences
• Publication activity1 (at least 1 publication in the journal with IF2 as first author during study)
• Pedagogical activities3 (practices at Environmental Hydrogeology, Field Practice for EGS, consultations on bachelor and diploma theses related to this subject)
• Obligation to complete a 4-week international internship within this topic
• Scholarship (average CZK 11,300 per month); possibility to get an internal faculty project up to 3 years (increase of scholarship by 60,000 CZK per year); obtaining extraordinary scholarships (for extra-standard publishing activity or pedagogical practices4)
• Salary: approx. 20,000 CZK/month net (800 EUR) + bonuses
Required documents for the application (send to [Email Address Removed]):
- Motivation letter
- Academic letter of recommendation (by your supervisor)
- Diploma + Diploma supplement (Transcript of records)
1 In the case of above-standard publishing activities (at least 3 publications) the possibility of writing a dissertation in the form of an annotated work
2 Publication with impact factor according to Web of Science
3 The scholarship is gradually increasing along with the fulfilled obligations of the PhD student (9,300 - 13,000 CZK)
4 Teaching activity over 192 teaching hours until the end of the 3rd year of study
Note that this is just a pre-selection. The selected candidate will be invited to submit official application to the Faculty of Environmental Sciences.
CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/16_026/0008403 (Operational Programme Research, Development and Education) SWAMP - Responsible water management in built-up areas in relation to the surrounding landscape (CZK 88 mil; 2018 – 2022).