Investigating the potential for reversible electrolysers to provide stability to 100% renewable electricity network
Applications are invited from enthusiastic candidates for a PhD position as a part of an SFI funded collaborative research programme NexSys, which is investigating the next generation integrated energy system.
NexSys will support the transition to a Next Generation Energy System enabling the delivering of decarbonised energy for the benefit of society, de-risking the transition through development of low carbon technology pathways and building climate hazard resilience, while nurturing future key talent and providing an evidence base for policy. The partnership programme is structured with oriented basic research and complimentary applied research.
Team: The Students will be based at UCD in the UCD Energy Institute, and will be registered to the School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering in the UCD College of Engineering and Architecture for a full-time structured PhD programme.
The student will join an interdisciplinary team of researchers across multiple different schools in UCD and also Universities through out Ireland investigating the energy system of the future.
Award and Doctoral Training: The student will be registered for a structured doctoral degree programme at UCD and the student's research, training and development will be guided by a Research Studies Panel. The student will also complete a number of advanced PhD-level modules (30 ECTS), as well as professional training, which will benefit their future career.
Equality, diversity and inclusion: UCD is committed to creating an environment where diversity is celebrated and everyone is treated fairly regardless of gender, age, race, disability, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, civil status, family status, or membership of the travelling community (https://www.ucd.ie/equality/).
Candidates must be fluent in English, at a level that meets UCD minimum requirements. See following link
As part of this research programme we are currently offering
The following PhD Positions
Required Skills / Qualifications/ Aptitudes:
· Bachelors or Masters degree (2.1 grade or higher) in Engineering, or Related science discipline, Mathematics or Computer Science
· Considerable computer programming knowledge and experience
· Experience with databases
· · A record of research, as evidenced by past and recent publications in top ranking journals and contributions to international refereed conferences
● Research skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
● Analytical and critical evaluation skills.
● Excellent English communication skills, in particular, writing and presentation skills.
● Attention to detail and strong organisational skills.
● Ability to manage a complex workload and work to tight deadlines.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Experience working closely with a wide range of stakeholders and in maintaining their engagement throughout the project
The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum period of 4 years
Funding will cover the following elements:
● A stipend of €18,500 per annum
● Travel/Consumables/Materials budget
● Tuition fees
Application Process To Apply:
Please apply with the following information –
- Cover letter-Stating your motivating for applying for the position
- Curriculum Vitae
Closing date for receipt of applications is 16/06/2023