Rolls-Royce sponsored PhD scholarship – Mechatronics system for hybrid manufacturing processing
Applicants are invited to undertake a 3 ½ year PhD program in partnership with industry to address key challenges in on-platform manufacturing engineering. The successful candidate will be based at The Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre (UTC) in Manufacturing and On-Wing Technology at University of Nottingham.
We are seeking applicants to start on a Rolls-Royce project before October 2019.
At the Rolls-Royce UTC, we are developing the next generation of robots and its sensing solutions to perform tasks in challenging working environments (https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2018/17-07-2018-rr-demonstrates-the-future-%20of-engine-maintenance-with-robots.aspx ). This project is related to the development of smart mechanisms and sensing to support the aforementioned tasks with the following actions:
• Develop the principles and theories for governing the scalability principles for building foldable and reconfigurable end-effectors that are able to access geometrically complex workspaces under positional restrictions.
• Develop smart control algorithms that will allow the end-effectors to communicate with the central control system and coordinate tasks with other end-effectors and host robots.
Smart sensing systems to support automated manufacturing and maintenance, repair & overhaul. We refer here not only to conventional sensing, e.g. vision, orientation, that are commonly integrated on the end-effectors, but on advanced (e.g. tactile, sound-based, shape) solutions that enhance the perception of the end-effectors so that versatile tasks can be performed.
We are seeking talented candidates with:
• First or upper second class degree in Robotics/Mechanical/Cybernetics/Mechatronics /Computer Science or related scientific discipline.
• First rate analytical and numerical skills, with a well-rounded academic background.
• Demonstrated ability to develop precision mechatronics system and algorithm
• Ability to develop kinematic and/or dynamic analysis of mechanical/robotic systems
• Ability to implement control and kinematics with hardware-in-the–loop
• Background with relevant packages, (MATLAB, SolidWorks/Creo, ROS/ OpenCV/ python, LabVIEW/C languages)
• A driven, professional and self-dependent work attitude is essential
• Experience of working within industry will be an advantage
• The ability to produce high quality presentations and written reports
This is an excellent opportunity to work on a novel mechatronics system with strong links to industrial applications and key skills and knowledge in preparation for a high-impact, high-technology research or industrial career
The scholarship on offer (to eligible students) comprises a tax-free stipend of £18,777 a year; tuition fees paid and a generous study package.
Eligibility: Only UK Higher Education “Home Fee” status applicants and EU residents satisfying the three-year residency requirement are eligible.
Informal enquiries may be address to Prof Dragos Axinte ([Email Address Removed]) or Cecilia Flores ([Email Address Removed]).
When applying for this studentship, please include the reference number (beginning ENG and supervisors name) within the personal statement section of the application. This will help in ensuring your application is sent directly to the academic advertising the studentship.