About the Project
The challenge here is to develop a soil moisture retrieval scheme appropriate to these arid zones, based primarily around the European Space Agency’s Sentinel-1 radar satellites. This opportunity is built upon an innovative new model which describes the physics of the radar-soil interaction at low moisture conditions. The work will comprise many research strands, and three in particular; 1) laboratory radar studies to understand how real-world complexities of soil structure and moisture dynamics affect retrieval performance; 2) further developing the model advised by the experimental results; and 3) developing automated satellite image processing chains to deliver the new product.
The studentship provides the opportunity to be involved in an exciting, end-to-end project, working on cutting-edge applied remote sensing. Crossing disciplines, it brings together laboratory measurement, soil science, and satellite image processing. The student will get the chance to;
• acquire experimental skills in radar laboratory experimentation and measurement applied to remote sensing of the environment
• develop bespoke processing chains for radar satellite imagery
• develop an internationally-important soil moisture product for the European Union’s Earth Observation Programme and EUMETSAT
• undertake an extended visit to TU Vienna to work on its in-service implementation
• an opportunity may arise to be involved in fieldwork trialling of the scheme, most likely in the deserts of southwestern USA
• work at the international level through collaborations, conference presentations, and journal publication.
Applicants should hold or expect to gain a minimum of a 2:1 Bachelor Degree, Masters Degree with Merit, or equivalent in physics, engineering, mathematics, or a closely related environmental or physical science degree.
To apply, please follow the instructions at https://research.reading.ac.uk/scenario/apply/
Due to UKRI rules, the DTP can only fund a very limited number of international students. We will only consider applications from international students with an outstanding academic background placing them in the top 10% of their cohort.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.