About the Project
We seek a PhD candidate with strong skills in applied statistics who will work on the development of spatio-temporal statistical methods to model leptospirosis infections in Brazil. The project is part of a multidisciplinary project which will be carried out under the supervision of Dr Emanuele Giorgi (Lancaster University) and Prof Federico Costa (Federal University of Bahia/Osawldo Cruz Foundation).
Leptospirosis is a spirochetal zoonosis that has emerged as an important health problem in slum settlements that have expanded rapidly worldwide and created conditions for rat-borne transmission. In the city of Salvador, Brazil, where transmission mostly occurs in peridomestic environments, the government-led expansion of closed sewer networks has resulted in a significant decrease of infection rates for leptospirosis. However, due to political neglect and the uncontrolled expansions of slums, construction of conventional governmentally led closed sewer systems (GOV-INT) is increasingly problematic. To address this issue, innovative and more economical methods that require community residents involvement (COM-INT) have emerged as suitable alternatives to improve sanitation in slum settlements.
The main objective of the study will be to develop and apply spatio-temporal statistical methods to determine the mechanisms by which COM-INT and GOV-INT reduce direct human contact with sewage and environmental pathogen load in urban slums.
The successful candidate is expected to:
1. have a strong interest in the application of advanced modern statistical methods to address public health challenges;
2. be able to autonomously learn new statistical methods and how they are used in open-source statistical software;
3. be able to communicate and work in a multidisciplinary team.
Applications should be made directly to Dr Emanuele at [Email Address Removed] and should include:
1. CV (max 2 A4 sides), including details of two academic references
2. A cover letter outlining your qualifications and interest in the studentship (max 2 A4 sides)
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.