About the Project
A PhD position in electroanalytical chemistry (biosensor development) will become available in October/November 2021 at the Department of Analytical Chemistry, National Institute of Chemistry (NIC), Ljubljana, Slovenia. We offer a dynamic, multidisciplinary and enthusiastic working environment as well as access to modern, advanced and high-quality research infrastructure. Short-term internship abroad is possible upon agreement with the candidate.
Work and task description:
- Development and investigation of electrochemical bio- and/or immunosensors,
- investigation of the application of electrochemical sensors in real samples,
- data analysis and visualization,
- statistical analyses,
- studies and preparation of scientific papers,
- presentation of research results in scientific conferences,
- popularization and dissemination of research results to the general public,
- completion of a PhD thesis.
Required education: An MSc degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, nanosciences and nanotechnology, materials science, pharmacy, laboratory biomedicine, biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology, (molecular) biology, or similar; the thesis must be defended by the end of August 2021. If an international candidate is selected, he/she will need to validate his/her degree with the Slovenian branch of ERIC-NARIC (https://www.enic-naric.net) by September 15, 2021.
The candidate must also fulfill:
- the requirements for enrollment in the doctoral program Sensor Technologies at Jozef Stefan International Postgraduate School,
- the requirements for the status of a Young Researcher as defined by ARRS, including the age of <28 years and a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of ≥8 out of 10 / ≥4 out of 5 / ≥3.2 out of 4 / ≥80% / A, A+ or O at both the BSc and MSc levels (Rules on the Procedures for the (Co)financing and Assessment of Research Activities and on Monitoring the Implementation of Research Activities, Articles 112–126) - IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE APPLYING!
Required work experience:
- Familiarity with laboratory work (safety, personal protective equipment, handling of chemicals, laboratory glassware and instruments, pipetting),
- basic knowledge of analytical chemistry.
Other required knowledge and experience:
- Excellent command of English (minimum IELTS score of 6.5, minimum TOEFL score of 90, minimum Cambridge English Scale score of 180 or equivalent),
- curiosity for research, self-initiative and high work ethic,
- high motivation to work in an international research environment.
Application procedure: The applicants should send the following mandatory documentation to [Email Address Removed] by June 11, 2021:
- an up-to-date CV,
- a document (degree certificate, confirmation letter or similar) proving completion of an MSc degree, or, if the degree is pending, an appropriate confirmation letter from the educational institution.
Optionally, the candidates may submit:
- other appropriate documentation (e.g., previous academic publications, educational credentials related to future work topics, recommendation letters),
- a certificate of an English language examination,
- a letter of motivation describing the potential interest in specific analytes (e.g., less complex organic molecules, proteins, nucleic acids, viruses, bacteria …).
Selection procedure: The candidates shortlisted from the applicant pool will be invited for a face-to-face online interview in early June 2021. The interviewees will be informed of the final decision by the end of June. In the event that no candidate is selected from among the interviewees, the second round of interviews will take place in July 2021 with the second shortlist of candidates.
Employment duration: 4 years with a three-month probationary period.
Start date: According to the Slovenian Research Agency’s schedule, expected in October/November 2021.
- has a Master's degree in a relevant field,
- the CGPA, including thesis grades, is at least 8 out of 10 / 4 out of 5 / 80% at both the BSc and MSc levels,
- is not older than 28 years (on the basis of the year of birth).
More information in English: https://www.arrs.si/en/akti/20/prav-sof-ocen-sprem-razisk-dej-okt20.asp (Articles 112-126).
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.