Requirements: The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in Civil Engineering or related fields, particularly preferable in hydraulics, fluid mechanics or water resources. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
Degree: The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Vegetation plays a very important role in river bank protection, ecological restoration and water environmental protection, etc. Mixed vegetation of different heights widely exists in many natural rivers. Due to the complexity of flow and vegetation interaction, there is a poor understanding of how such vegetation affects flow structure of channels. Understanding the influence of vegetation on flow is of great practical significance for river design and water ecological restoration. Previously, studies mainly focused on single layer vegetation. However, little study was done on the flow with more realistic multi-layered vegetation, distributed partially in an open channel, which is the aim of this project. This proposal will conduct an in-depth study on flow characteristics of open-channel flows with multi-layered vegetation by various comparative experiments and analytical methods to establish a method for predicting flow velocity, resistance and channel capacity, along with the understanding of turbulence of vegetated flow. The outcome will advance the core knowledge gap and provide a scientific basis to users.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Xiaonan TANG ([Email Address Removed]), whose personal profile is linked below: