Systems Biology of the Cell Cycle interactome
Dr N Davey
Dr J Choudhary
No more applications being accepted
Funded PhD Project (Students Worldwide)
SUMMARY OF THE POST
We are recruiting a highly motivated team member to the Short Linear Motif Team in the Division of Cancer Biology to help characterise the motif-mediated interactome of the human cell. A 4-year Cancer Research UK-funded PhD position will be available for the computational analysis of the transient motif-mediated protein interactions of the cell cycle. This work is part of a larger project characterising motif-mediated interactions to identify weak points in cancer cells for therapeutic intervention.
For a concise overview of our work, please visit our group website at http://slim.icr.ac.uk.
Location: The Division of Cancer Biology at the Institute of Cancer Research, London
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● To design and undertake experiments appropriate for the project, working in a semi-independent fashion involving the following:
○ Development of methods for the integration, processing and analysis of large interactomics datasets from diverse sources
○ Development of methods for interaction interface discovery using evolutionary information
○ Design, implementation and application of analysis workflows to extract biological insight from noisy interactomics data
○ Creation of web resources for these novel methodologies and analyses
○ Interpretation of the findings and design of future experiments.
○ Maintain accurate records of experiments and data.
● To coordinate with other members of the team and the Division and contribute to a multidisciplinary collaboration through providing scientific input into a developing research project.
● To further develop a knowledge of the literature in the subject area.
● Presentation of seminars and journal clubs.
● Writing drafts of publications arising from this work.
The following skills are desirable:
• Proficiency in Python programming and experience with Linux
• Knowledge and experience of the analysis of large datasets
• Experience with web and database development
• Experience with statistical analysis and/or machine learning
• Understanding of biological concepts relevant to the project
For further informal inquiries about the position, contact Dr. Norman Davey ([Email Address Removed]) with the email title “Recruitment - PhD Student - Systems Biology of the Cell Cycle interactome”.
Full funding is available
Candidates must have a first class or upper second class honours BA or BSc Honours/MSc or equivalent in computational biology or computer sciences
How to apply
Full details about these studentship projects, and the online application form, are available on our website, at: www.icr.ac.uk/phds. Applications for all projects should be made online. Please ensure that you read and follow the application instructions very carefully.
Details on how to apply are available via the ICR website https://www.icr.ac.uk/studying-and-training/phds-for-science-graduates/phd-studentship-projects Please note we only accept applications via our online recruitment portals
Please complete the application form and include the following:
● A 1-page letter explaining your research background, research interests, key skills in relation to the position and motivation for applying.
Big Data Analysis
Short Linear Motifs