Bioaerosols comprise of viruses, bacteria and bacteria agglomerates, fungal and plant spores, and pollen, which widely exist in the atmosphere and have key effects on genetic transport, human health, and climate. However, the knowledge on the transport processes of bioaerosols, especially the vertical exchange of bioaerosols and the factors controlling their atmospheric transport based on observations is very limited due to the lack of advanced measurement techniques. This study will develop and apply a novel direct measurement system by integrating the state-of-the-art micrometeorological technique with the newly developed online bioaerosol sensor, supported by a modern data processing package. Field campaigns will be carried out and provide valuable information on bioaerosol exchange and interaction between terrestrial ecosystems and the atmosphere, which is required to validate and parameterize related global and regional models.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Environmental Science. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email email@example.com (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
- Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Peng Zhao (firstname.lastname@example.org), whose personal profile is linked below,