A postgraduate research scholarship for a stipend allowance for Master of Criminology (Research), Master of Laws (Research) or PhD students in the University of Sydney Law School.
- have an unconditional offer of admission or be enrolled to study a PhD, MCrim (Research) or LLM (Research) in the University of Sydney Law School
- not have more than 12 months of period of enrolment if currently enrolled full-time or part-time in PhD, MCrim by Research or LLM by Research
- be willing to conduct research in the disciplines of law
- hold at least one of the following degrees in law:
- an honours degree (first class or second class upper) or equivalent
- a master’s by research
- a master’s by coursework with a high distinction or distinction level including a research component equivalent to 25% of one year’s full-time enrolment
- a degree in Law together with research and/or professional experience deemed to be equivalent to first class honours.
Note: Preference will be given to commencing candidates, though the Scholarship may exceptionally be awarded to currently enrolled full-time or part-time PhD, MCrim by Research or LLM by Research students.
How to apply
Law students applying for Admissions will automatically be considered for this scholarship. A separate application is not required.
Currently enrolled Law students please submit an expression of interest here to be considered for the scholarship.
Note: The award of this scholarship is subject to funding availability.
The Scholarship will provide a stipend allowance equivalent to the University of Sydney’s Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend rate (indexed on 1 January each year), subject to satisfactory academic performance, as per below duration:
I. up to 1.75 years for a successful full-time MCrim by Research or LLM by Research recipient. No extension is possible.
II. up to 3 years for a successful full-time PhD recipient, with a possible extension of 6 months.
A successful recipient enrolled part-time will be provided with a stipend allowance equivalent to 50% of the full-time stipend rate, for up to 3.5 years for MCrim by Research or LLM by Research, or up to six years with a possible extension of one year for PhD students, subject to satisfactory academic performance
Academic tuition fees and the Student Services Amenities Fee are not covered by this scholarship for an international recipient.
Established by a gift from Mrs Matilda Harris in memory of her late husband George Harris, this scholarship was established for the encouragement of the study of law.
It is available to support higher degree by research students.
For more information and to apply, please go to: https://www.sydney.edu.au/scholarships/b/the-george-and-matilda-harris-scholarship-for-research-students.html