About the Project
This highly innovative PhD project focuses on one of the key challenges in the fields of cancer research and translational medicine, which is to ‘make the mouse organism more human’. Specifically, this project will determine the contribution of human bone marrow fat on prostate cancer bone metastasis, using innovative humanized 3D in vitro and in vivo mice models based on tissue engineering strategies.
We are seeking a full-time, highly motivated PhD candidate to perform cutting-edge research in bioengineered humanized mouse models for bone metastatic cancer. The successful candidate will be working under the direct supervision of Dr Nathalie Bock, a dynamic leader in biomimetic bone and cancer models, and have access to a versatile international team of associate investigators (engineers, researchers, clinicians) that have extensive background in both basic, translational and clinical research. This includes world-figure D/Prof Dietmar W. Hutmacher, who pioneered the humanization of mouse models using tissue engineering principles for cancer research.
During the course of this PhD, the candidate will drive a highly interdisciplinary project in the field of cancer research, by cross-fertilising with the fields of tissue engineering, materials science and preclinical science, ultimately addressing a significant gap in metastatic bone cancer, a lethal condition. Via this project, the successful candidate will not only advance knowledge in prostate cancer but will also develop novel state-of-the-art pre-clinical humanised platforms for cancer research in general. High-quality publications will be expected from this project (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-019-0072-9). Travel to national and international conferences will be available to the successful candidate.
This project will be based at the picturesque Translational Research Institute (TRI) in Woolloongabba (QUT), which houses all the equipment and facilities required to perform this project, including an in-house animal facility. TRI is an Australian-first initiative of translational medical research located at the Princess Alexandra Hospital (PAH) campus and is a unique facility with a strong focus on translational cancer research that groups top researchers from the University of Queensland, QUT (IHBI), Mater Medical Research Institute and the PAH. The TRI building houses more than 500 researchers and comprises four floors of laboratories with first-class cell culture/analysis equipment and animal facilities.
Australian and International applicants are eligible to apply. International students must meet all entry requirements for QUT listed here https://www.qut.edu.au/research/study-with-us/how-to-apply#Step_1_Entry_requirements
• Recently completed a Bachelor of Science (BSc) with first-class honours (H1) or overseas equivalent
• Over 6 months experience in a science laboratory
• Strong academic performance
• Ability to work full-time
• Master of Science (MSc) with a significant research component
• >1 research publication in a scientific peer-reviewed journal
• Experience with small research animals
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application to [Email Address Removed] with the following subject: ‘PhD APP1187030 – Your Surname’.
Your application must include:
• A cover letter by the applicant (max 1 page)
• An up-to-date CV indicating previous lab experience and skills
• Full academic transcript
• 1 reference letter (max 1 page)
• Details of at least 1 more referee (email/address/contact number) with the relationship to the candidate
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
This scholarship offer will remain open until 1 July 2020 for an ideal start in July-October 2020. For international students, start date will be adjusted according to the reopening of Australian borders to foreign citizens past covid19 pandemic (not foreseen prior to October 2020).
What you receive
• A QUT Stipend Scholarship, tax exempt and indexed annually approximately at $30K per annum for a period of 3 years will be provided to the successful applicant.
• For international students, you will also receive a QUT Tuition Fee Waiver Scholarship.
• The opportunity to work in a world-class multidisciplinary institute and international team https://www.tri.edu.au/translational-research-institute-australia
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.