About the Project
However, concerns have been expressed that the discourse surrounding obesity and some of the policies and practices being implemented to tackle the issue in schools and PE may be overly narrow, simplistic and misguided, and that they could even be harmful to young people’s health. Despite this, very little is known about school and PE policies and practices in this regard and of how teachers, students and others experience and are influenced by these. It is clearly imperative that policies and practices to address childhood obesity avoid ‘doing more harm than good’ and that schools and PE adopt a research-informed and pedagogically sound approach to the issue.
This research will therefore investigate and aim to establish the above with a view to informing government, school and PE policy and practice in this area. It will draw primarily on qualitative research methodology and methods with a view to addressing the following research questions:
• What role and responsibilities should schools and PE have in addressing childhood obesity?
• What policies and practices are schools and PE currently implementing to address childhood obesity?
• What are teachers’ and students’ experiences and views of obesity discourse and of these policies and practices?
• What is the impact of obesity discourse and these policies and practices on teachers, students and others?
• What evidenced-based policy and practical recommendations can be made on the basis of the above to address childhood obesity in schools and PE?
An undergraduate Honours degree with a minimum classification of a 2.1, or equivalent, in a relevant subject for the PhD project.
How to apply
All applications should be made online: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/research-applications/
Under school/department name, select 'Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences'. Please quote reference SSEHS/LAC/1.
The deadline for applications is 30 May 2020.
Start date: 1 July or 1 October 2020
Start date: July 2020, October 2020
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.