This is an open call for research proposals related to the broad area of the use of e-health tools and/or online information for the self-management of health and wellness. Proposals should primarily focus on patient experiences but may also consider how e-health tools effect the patient-practictioner dynamic or how they are used by family-based carers. Proposals should be anchored in the domain of Information Science with a focus on human information behaviour, information seeking and use, or social informatics and online information.
We would be especially interested in proposals that use qualitative research methods to consider online information sharing behaviours related to long-term or chronic health conditions or those from a carer’s perspective that consider the use of e-health tools by a “proxy” or information intermediary.
Perspective applicants are encouraged to contact the Supervisor before submitting their applications. Applications should make it clear the project you are applying for and the name of the supervisors.
A first degree (at least 2.1) ideally in library and information science or similar with a good fundamental knowledge of information-based concepts and use and online information sharing platforms.
English language requirement
IELTS score must be at least 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in each of the four components). Other, equivalent qualifications will be accepted. Full details of the University's policy are available online.
- Experience of fundamental principles of social science or information sciences
- Competent in qualitative research methods and data anaylsis
- Knowledge of online environments, applications, and tools (beyond casual use of social networking sites)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong motivation, with evidence of independent research skills relevant to the project
- Good time management
- Intellectual curiosity with a willingness to consider new and different perspectives
- Interest in or knowledge of e-health tools or health-related online communities
For enquiries about the content of the project, please email Dr Frances Ryan [Email Address Removed]
For information about how to apply, please visit our website https://www.napier.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/research-degrees/how-to-apply
To apply, please select the link for the PhD Computing FT application form