IRB Barcelona is seeking a PhD student to work on an upcoming project dealing with cancer genomic and transcriptomic statistical analysis to predict response to immunotherapy, using data from human studies and from mouse models of lung cancer and lymphoma.
We are looking for an aspiring computational biologist, who enjoys being involved in exciting, cuttingedge science that can improve cancer patients’ lives.
We would like to recruit a PhD candidate who is curiosity-driven, looking to gain knowledge in the disciplines of genomics/bioinformatics and machine learning, and applying this to biomedical data to learn about cancer evolution and treatment resistance mechanisms.
The work will be performed in the Genome Data Science lab ( https://www.genomedatalab.org/ ), led by ICREA Research Professor and EMBO Young Investigator Fran Supek, in collaboration with the diverse, international team in the lab, which consists of genomics biologists, wet-lab biologists and mathematicians.
Start date is ideally October 2022; there is some flexibility.
Informal inquiries can be directed to the PI at [Email Address Removed].
Early applications are encouraged.
Relevant publications of the group:
- Lindeboom, Vermeulen, Lehner and Supek (2019) Nature Genetics “The impact of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay on genetic disease, gene editing and cancer immunotherapy”
- Supek, Lehner and Lindeboom (2021) Trends in Genetics “To NMD or Not To NMD: Nonsense-Mediated mRNA Decay in Cancer and Other Genetic Diseases”
- Analyse human and mouse genomic and transcriptomic data using bioinformatic tools, identifying genetic variants, gene/isoform expression etc.
- Use various statistical and machine learning methods to find features associated with treatment response across mouse and human data sets
- Perform excellent research according to the high standards of the Supek lab and the IRB Barcelona
- Publish results in top-tier computational biology and/or genetics journals
- Present at weekly lab meetings and journal clubs, at department seminars, and at conferences
- Engage in teamwork with other members of the host lab to facilitate progress on the project
- Participate in the project activities joint with the other: meetings, presentations, visits to other labs, collaboration, exchange of data sets, preparing project reports/deliverables
Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Selection Criteria
Must Have – Required
- Experience: BSc/MSc in the natural sciences or mathematics or engineering.
- Skills: highly motivated, with enthusiasm to work on challenging topics in genomics and transcriptomics. Some knowledge of one or more programming languages.
- Experience: Prior experience with bioinformatics tools for genomic or transcriptomic data analysis, in any organism (preferred mouse/human).
- Skills: independent, self-learning, goal-oriented. Solid level of spoken English.
- Track record: good university grades.
Working Condition & Entitlements
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Training is a way of life at IRB Barcelona. Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 100 postdoctoral researchers (almost half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working toward their research at IRB Barcelona.
How to Apply & Selection Process
Applications for the above opening should include a full C.V, university grades certificate, contact
information of at least two referees, and a Motivation Letter, and should apply on
https://recruitment.irbbarcelona.org/ Reference: PREDOC/22/02
Deadline for applications: 15/08/2022
If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended.
Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, grades, motivation letter, experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.