We are seeking strongly motivated and competitive candidates to conduct PhD research as part of an internationally-recognised research team involved in new tumor-selective metal chelators for multiple theranostic applications. The project will involve organic and inorganic synthesis, characterisation, and biological evaluation of new Rare Earth metal complexes.
Interested candidates with extremely competitive track records are encouraged to apply for scholarships from granting agencies and those offered by The University of Sydney. International PhD scholarships are highly competitive and a strong track record of achievement is required (see below for further details).
Applications are invited from outstanding graduates with a relevant background in synthetic chemistry and/or medicinal chemistry, notably:
- A First-Class Honours degree or Masters degree (or equivalent), with a major in Chemistry. Note that majors in pharmacy, biology, biotechnology or medical sciences are not sufficient for this PhD research project.
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry is ESSENTIAL. Experience in Rare Earth metal chemistry, medicinal chemistry, radiochemistry, and/or chemical biology would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in the characterisation of small molecules by multinuclear NMR spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry is ESSENTIAL.
- A track record of publication in peer-reviewed journals. International PhD scholarships are highly competitive and a strong track record of publication is ESSENTIAL. Note that 'submitted' or 'communicated' articles, or those 'under preparation', are not considered.
- Analytical thinking, data analysis and critical problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding time management skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- The position is open to both domestic and international students.
How to Apply:
Initial PhD enquiries should be made by contacting Professor Louis Rendina for further details (email@example.com). Please include the following information in your initial enquiry (submitted as a single PDF file):
- A 1-page cover letter (that includes a brief statement of your suitability and motivation to apply),
- Your CV, including a full list of peer-reviewed publications,
- The contact details of two referees,
- Certified academic transcripts, and
- Evidence of English language proficiency (if appropriate).