Candidates are expected to hold (or be about to obtain) a minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent) in a related area / subject.
This project has a Band 3 fee. Details of our different fee bands can be found on our website (View Website). For information on how to apply for this project, please visit the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health Doctoral Academy website (View Website).
Informal enquiries may be made directly to the primary supervisor.
• Freeman OJ, Unwin RD, Dowsey AW, Begley P, Ali S, Hollywood KA, Rustogi N, Petersen RS, Dunn WB, Cooper GJ & Gardiner NJ (2016) Metabolic Dysfunction is Restricted to the Sciatic Nerve in Experimental Diabetic Neuropathy. Diabetes 65(1): 228-38.
• Gardiner NJ & Freeman OJ (2016) Can diabetic neuropathy be modelled in vitro? Chapter 5: Controversies in Diabetic Neuropathy. Edited by Nigel A. Calcutt and Paul Fernyhough (Elsevier). Int Rev Neurobiol 127
• Gardiner NJ (2011) Integrins and the extracellular matrix: key mediators of development and regeneration of the sensory nervous system. Developmental Neurobiol 71(11): 1054-72.
• Tomlinson DR & Gardiner NJ (2008) Glucose neurotoxicity. Nature Rev Neurosci. 9(1):36-45
• Duran-Jimenez, B, Dobler D, Moffatt S, Rabbani N, Streuli CH, Thornalley PJ, Tomlinson DR & Gardiner NJ (2009). Advanced glycation end products in extracellular matrix proteins contribute to the failure of sensory nerve regeneration in diabetes. Diabetes 58(12):2893-903