About the Project
Nowadays, there is an identified lack of intelligent low-cost solutions suitable for deployment in developing countries. The cost of existing solutions is prohibited, while at the same time the computational mechanisms supporting current systems’ functionalities are outdated thus limiting their effectiveness. More intelligent research efforts are still in the design phase (e.g. GRAF). This PhD project aims to target this gap, by developing a low-cost solution for urban flood monitoring and forecasting that utilizes the latest advancements in computational intelligence.
Coventry University has been voted ‘Modern University of the Year’ three times running by The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide. Ranked in the UK’s top 15 (Guardian University Guide), we have a global reputation for high quality teaching and research with impact. Almost two-thirds (61%) of our research was judged ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. By joining the Institute for Future Transport and Cities, you will benefit from state-of-the-art facilities and partnerships with some of the biggest names in industry, including Jaguar Land Rover, GE Aviation, Cummins and Intel.
• Our research strategy is underpinned by a £250m investment in research and facilities
• Dedicated Doctoral College and Centre for Research Capability Development deliver high quality professional support for researchers, from PhD to Professor
• Free training: research career planning, managing your doctorate, research communication skills, research ethics, research impact, research integrity, research methods and research supervision
• Coventry is a member of the Doctoral Training Alliance (DTA), the largest multi-partner and only nationwide doctoral training initiative of its kind.
Entry criteria for applicants to PhD
A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the Project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average.
In the event of a first degree classification of less than 2:1, a Masters Degree in a relevant subject area will be considered as an equivalent. The Masters must have been attained with overall marks at minimum merit level (60%). In addition, the dissertation or equivalent element in the Masters must also have been attained with a mark at minimum merit level (60%).
• the potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a three-year period of study
• a minimum of English language proficiency (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component)
• PhD will be fully funded – 3.5 years (accept UK/EU and International candidates)
• Stipend - £15285 per annum to cover living / accommodation expenses.
How to apply
Apply online https://pgrplus.coventry.ac.uk/
Submitting full supporting documentation, and covering letter, plus an up-to 2000-word personal statement relating to the project
Application deadline: November 15th 2020
Interview dates: Will be notified to shortlisted candidates
Duration of study: Full-Time – between three and three and a half years fixed term
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.