Applications should be made directly to Dr Cheryl Hawkes [email protected] and should include:
CV (max 2 A4 sides), including details of two academic references
A cover letter outlining their qualifications and interest in the studentship (max 2 A4 sides)
Mehta D, Jackson R, Paul G, Shi J, Sabbagh M. Why do trials for Alzheimer's disease drugs keep failing? A discontinued drug perspective for 2010-2015. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2017; 26: 735-739.
2. Arvanitakis Z, et al. Cerebral amyloid angiopathy pathology and cognitive domains in older persons. Ann Neurol 2011; 69: 320-327.
3. Pfeifer M, et al. Cerebral hemorrhage after passive anti-A-beta immunotherapy. Science 2002; 298: 1379.
4. Hawkes CA, et al. Regional differences in the morphological and functional effects of aging on cerebral basement membranes and perivascular drainage of amyloid-beta from the mouse brain. Aging Cell 2013; 12: 224-36.
5. Hawkes CA, et al. Perivascular drainage of solutes is impaired in the ageing mouse brain and in the presence of cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Acta Neuropathol 2011; 121: 431-43.
6. Boche D, et al. Consequence of Abeta immunization on the vasculature of human Alzheimer's disease brain. Brain 2008; 131: 3299-3310.
7. Gregori M, et al. Retro-inverso peptide inhibitor nanoparticles as potent inhibitors of aggregation of the Alzheimer's Abeta peptide. Nanomedicine 2017; 13: 723-732.
8. Parthsarathy V, et al. A novel retro-inverso peptide inhibitor reduces amyloid deposition, oxidation and inflammation and stimulates neurogenesis in the APPswe/PS1DeltaE9 mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. PLoS One 2013; 8: e54769.
9. Sun Y, et al. Synthesis of scyllo-inositol derivatives and their effects on amyloid beta peptide aggregation. Bioorg Med Chem 2008; 16: 7177-84.
10. Hawkes CA, Deng LH, Shaw JE, Nitz M, McLaurin J. Small molecule beta-amyloid inhibitors that stabilize protofibrillar structures in vitro improve cognition and pathology in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. Eur J Neurosci 2010; 31: 203-13.
11. McLaurin J, et al. Cyclohexanehexol inhibitors of Abeta aggregation prevent and reverse Alzheimer phenotype in a mouse model. Nat Med 2006; 12: 801-8.
12. Nizari S, Carare RO, Hawkes CA. Increased Abeta pathology in aged Tg2576 mice born to mothers fed a high fat diet. Sci Rep 2016; 6: 21981.