About the Project
The student will receive comprehensive training in not only the area of the project but also will acquire practical innovation and entrepreneurial expertise. This will include attendance at the DTA Training Schools and access to a bespoke ‘elective programme’ hosted across the network of universities. You will be provided with excellent training and supported in your development as an independent researcher.
This project will investigate the use of highly innovative methods for design and optimisation of power plant architectures for future hybrid and fully-electrical aircraft platforms. The project will develop optimisation procedures to determine optimal power electronics configurations depending on flight missions, providing the most efficient use of electrical power available form on-board sources and to meet functional safety requirements. This will require the development of high-fidelity models of the systems in question, novel fault-tolerant drive configurations and power electronics systems designed to maximise power density and minimise electromagnetic interferences (EMI).
For informal enquiries about the project, please contact Dr Rukshan Navaratne [Email Address Removed]
Applicants should have:
• an upper second class degree, or higher, in an Engineering, Mathematics or Physics discipline; holding a masters-level degree in in these subject areas would be an advantage
• possess a reasonable understanding of computer programming
• Be highly self-motivated, with the capacity to learn and develop computational and optimisation techniques
• Have well developed and positive collaborative interpersonal skills
• Have an ability to deliver technical reports and communicate findings
• Be willing to travel in the UK and Overseas and to work in industrial settings.
To apply please visit: http://gradschool.southwales.ac.uk/next-step/
A research proposal is not required for this studentship.
Please select Civil/Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering (MPhil/PhD) when applying and clearly state on your application that you are applying for a DTA Energy Studentship.
Closing date: Wednesday 26th August 2020. Interviews: during w/c 31st August 2020 (date TBC). Start date: 1st October 2020.
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.