Finnadvance, a Finnish startup, aims to unravel pathological mechanisms that drive human diseases using organ-on-chips. The startup uses microfluidics and biomaterial design to study patient samples and generates disease-on-chip models to further dissect disease processes and test new therapies. It collaborates closely with clinicians and patients to provide viable and tangible knowledge-based improvements in health-care.
For the EU-MSCA-ETN project V.A. Cure, the startup invites applications for an Early Stage Researcher/PhD student position (ESR14). You will be part of a team of 14 ESRs working on the V.A. Cure project, which aims to uncover core mechanisms of initiation and maintenance of Vascular Anomalies with the final goal to stablish novel therapeutic strategies. The project is funded in the frame of the EU MSCA-ITN programme.
You will work on a research project with the following objectives:
• Design and fabrication of microfluidic culture systems
• Generate and characterize the disease-on-chip model using biochemical assays and microscopic imaging
• Validate the effects of identified gene-mutations (from other ESRs) on the disease model
• Identify genotype-phenotype correlations
• You will also take part in the international training programme of the network and participate in various networking and outreach events.
We are looking for a motivated student with a strong commitment to basic and/or translational research, who:
• is eligible for MSCA-ETN funding, see Funding Notes
• has a MSc degree in the field of material science, nanotechnology, biomedical sciences or related disciplines
• Practical experience with microfabrication, replica moulding, chip-to-world interfacing
• Basic knowledge of python, LabView, MATLAB is a must
• is a team player with good communication skills
The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary in accordance with MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The period of employment is 3 years. Starting date: June – October 2019.
How to apply
– Make sure you meet the qualifying requirements.
– Submit your application to [email protected]
by e-mail, mentioning ‘application for ESR14’ in the subject line. Please send one pdf file containing:
• A motivation letter describing your research career goals, skills and experience (cover letter)
• Curriculum vitae
• Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in English or with a translation into English)
• Two letters of recommendation or the contact information for at least 2 referees.
Deadline for submitting applications: 1 May 2019
Please visit http://www.vacure.eu
for more information on the project, the recruitment and selection criteria. Contact for questions: [email protected]