Gallium Nitride (GaN) vertical devices have the potential to enable new and highly efficient high voltage applications for a low carbon society such as electric vehicles. To date, a few research groups have reported on the successful fabrication of GaN vertical devices on silicon due to the considerable challenges associated with crystal growth, reliability and fabrication process.
The successful PhD candidate will simulate, optimize and characterize a novel vertical GaN FET prototype using TCAD Synopsys Sentaurus and high voltage probe station with CV and pulse measurement capabilities.
The successful candidate will work alongside the research team within the £50M unique world-class Centre for Advanced Low-carbon Propulsion Systems (C-ALPS). During the PhD project, the student will have the leverage to work closely with world-leading industrialists.
We seek candidates with an excellent academic record in physics, electronics or similar subject. Specific experimental skills are not required, but self-motivation and a can-do attitude are.
Training and Development:
• Our research is underpinned by a £250M investment in research and facilities.
• The successful candidate will receive comprehensive research training including technical, personal and professional skills.
• All researchers at Coventry University (from PhD to Professor) are part of the Doctoral College and Centre for Research Capability and Development, which provides support with high-quality training and career development activities.
• The successful candidate will work alongside the research team within the £50M unique world-class Centre for Advanced Low-carbon Propulsion Systems (C-ALPS).
• During the PhD project, the student will have the leverage to work closely with world-leading industrialists.
Entry criteria for applicants to PHD
• A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average.
the potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a 3.5 years
• A minimum of English language proficiency (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component)
For further details see: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/research/research-students/making-an-application/
How to apply
To find out more about the project please contact Dr Soroush Faramehr [email protected]
To apply on line please visit: https://pgrplus.coventry.ac.uk/
All applications require full supporting documentation, a covering letter, reference letter, plus a 2000-word supporting statement showing how the applicant’s expertise and interests are relevant to the project.
Eligibility: UK/EU/International graduates with the required entry requirements
Start date: January 2020
Duration of study: Full-Time – between three and three and a half years fixed term