Requirements: The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Telecommunications Engineering /Microelectronics/ Electronics and Information Engineering. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
Degree: The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Project Description: With the continuous progress in science and technology, a myriad of implantable medical devices (IMDs) have been invented aimed at improving public health and wellbeing. One of the main problems with these devices is their limited battery lifetime. This results in otherwise unnecessary surgeries to replace depleted batteries leading to excessive medical expenses. Wireless power transfer (WPT), as a promising technology, could be used to remedy this. Wireless power technologies, through the transfer of transmitted radio frequency (RF) power or harvesting RF energy from the ambient environment and then converting it to usable electrical energy, are emerging as important features for the future of electronic devices in general and have attracted an upsurge in research interest. This proposal aims to overcome some of challenges, developing an efficient WPT system for IMDs.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Jingchen Wang ([Email Address Removed]), whose personal profile is linked below,