Land Use Consultants Ltd
3 Year Industry-led Funded PhD: Ref. No. 62
The overall aim of this project is to use Earth Observation (EO) data in a GIS framework to develop new approaches to quantifying Natural Capital (NC) at farm and landscape scales. Having quantified NC the project will use a variety of approaches to engage with the relevant stakeholders to develop management plans that maintain and enhance existing NC. Effective monitoring methods using EO data will also be developed to provide timely feedback on management interventions.
Applicants should have a master’s degree in geography, ecology, environmental science or computing.
The PhD is a collaborative research project between Lancaster University, the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology and Land Use Consultants Ltd (LUC). LUC is an award-winning environmental consultancy providing planning, impact assessment, landscape design and ecology consultancy with expertise across a broad cross-section of environmental disciplines to a wide range of public and private sector clients.
With a track record of over 50 years and a team of over 125 skilled professionals, they bring a passion for the environment and a determination to achieve sustainable development on behalf of our clients. The business has offices in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Lancaster.
By joining the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation you will:
• Receive £15,000 tax free per year
• Have your postgraduate tuition fees paid for by your partner business, worth c£4,195/year (fees for Non EU/UK graduates are subsidised from £17,510/year to £13,315/year.) See university website for published rates by year of entry)
• Become part of a cohort of graduates working with an award-winning team on business-led R&D
• Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas.
The post is subject to confirmation of funding.
31st July 2017
Start Date: September 2017
How to Apply
To apply for this opportunity please email [email protected]
• CV (max 2 pages)
• PhD Application Form (http://bit.ly/cgephdap)
• Application Criteria Document (http://bit.ly/cgephdapcr)
• Funded PhD Reference Form (http://bit.ly/cgephdref)
Please state the project reference number (62) in your email subject.
The Centre for Global Eco-Innovation
This doctoral research project is one of a cohort of industry-led funded research projects from the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation, an international alliance supporting university-business collaboration. The Centre delivers high quality, business-led research to create eco-innovative technologies, products and services.
At the heart of the Centre are people who are researching, developing and innovating to address global challenges, including energy, water, natural capital, resource efficiency, food, and waste, to deliver economic, social and environmental benefits. Launched in 2012 the Centre and has won two national awards for its ground breaking approach to sustainable R&D and knowledge exchange.