The James Hutton Institute is an internationally networked organisation and operates from multiple sites, including two main ones in Scotland at Aberdeen and Dundee. It employs more than 600 scientists and support staff, making it one of the biggest research centers in the UK and the first of its type in Europe. The institute is one of the Scottish Government’s main research providers in environmental, crop and food science and will have a major role in the Scottish knowledge economy.
• The James Hutton Institute has a thriving postgraduate study programme which offers a broad range of training opportunities for students from across the UK and around the world. The primary aim of postgraduate training is to equip the individual with a wide range of modern scientific skills whilst developing technical and intellectual competence that can be applied in a range of scientific careers.
• Our PhD students are registered at universities throughout the UK. These cover all aspects of our work on plant genetics, food quality, plant pathogens, sustainable land and natural resource use, crop production and biodiversity. Delivery of postgraduate training and personal development is monitored and supported to ensure that each individual student achieves the highest standards of intellectual flexibility, whilst presenting a comprehensive range of scientific and transferable skills demanded of today’s trained scientists.
• University links in Aberdeen and Dundee
• Students are registered at UK universities depending on sources of funding and the scientific skills and knowledge of university supervisors. However a significant proportion working in Dundee are registered at the University of Dundee with whom the Institute has established a partnership with the Division of Plant Sciences located at the Dundee site.
• The relationship with the University of Dundee also includes a special arrangement whereby postgraduate students, independently of the university where they are registered, have access to, and can use the facilities available at the University, including English language tuition, training courses, library, scientific facilities and counseling.