The MPhil and PhD programmes in Psychology covers four broad research areas:
• applied cognition and technology
• health psychology
• social processes
• clinical psychology/psychopathology
Students are expected to carry out supervised research at the leading edge of their chosen subject in just one of these areas (some students combine two areas).
The research must be written up as a substantial thesis. The transfer from MPhil to PhD is subject to students passing an assessment process, which normally involves submission of written work and a transfer seminar. The final stage of the PhD degree is the oral, or viva voce, examination in which students are required to defend their thesis to a Board of Examiners.
We will also consider applications on a case-by-case basis where candidates have an appropriate combination of the following:
1. A relevant diploma passed out at a high level (eg a Higher National Diploma).
2. Published papers or other academic work of a high standard.
3. Relevant professional qualifications.
4. Extended and responsible experience in a relevant field.
Certificates must be dated to within two years of the start of the programme of study.
• IELTS 7 (with no less than 6.5 in each component)
• PTE Academic of 69 with no less than 62 in any component
If you wish to improve your English proficiency before commencing your studies, pre-sessional language training can be arranged through the Academic Skills Centre.
• Two references are required. At least one of these must be an academic reference.
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Graduate School has further information about funding opportunities.
You can must apply to study through the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Graduate School.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.