This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
The Guildford School of Acting (GSA) at the University of Surrey invites applications from excellent candidates for PhD studentships covering Home/EU fees and maintenance for October 2017 entry.
Studentship schemes for October 2017 entry:
• AHRC TECHNE Doctoral Training Partnership studentships: As a member of the TECHNE Doctoral Training Partnership, the University of Surrey invites applications for Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) studentships (stipend and fee waiver). Overseas students are not eligible for TECHNE Scholarships, and EU students from outside the UK are eligible for fees but not maintenance. All applications for this AHRC studentship scheme will also be considered for the internal studentships.
• Internal studentships: these university-funded studentships are available for top-quality Home/EU or Overseas students, covering full tuition fees (including international fees) and maintenance at current research-council rates for a full-time PhDs.
School Research programmes:
• PhD Dance
• PhD Theatre
The research activity in GSA at Surrey is supported through our new Institute of Performance. The institute acts as the conservatoire's research hub providing the base for all our postgraduate research and training. This includes regular research seminars with visiting speakers as well as bespoke training sessions on academic skills. We aim to provide a nurturing environment that is inclusive of all our postgraduate researchers as preparation for academic research. The institute also hosts our Centre for Performance Philosophy that fosters innovative and creative research concerned with the intersection of ‘performance' and ‘philosophy'.
Our conservatoire facilities include a 200-seat theatre, 15 rehearsal-studios, 6 performance-studios, an art gallery, design studio, digital media labs, and high-quality recording facilities. The university library also hosts the longstanding and internationally renowned National Resource Centre for Dance.
Areas of Study
We welcome applications in all areas of study that align with our supervisors subject specialism. This ranges from intermedial theatre, Deleuzian approaches to performance, site-specific performance and tourism, transnationalism and dance, immersive and interactive theatres, Laban and performer training, trauma and crisis in performance, phenomenology and global Shakespeares, as well as costume and scenography. As a research conservatoire, we are fully equipped to offer dedicated time and support to practice research experiments and practical modes of knowledge enquiry. We welcome proposals that will result in an c.80,000 word thesis or a practice research curated portfolio.
General areas of supervision specialism:
• Performance and Philosophy
• Contemporary Performance Practice
• Performing Shakespeare
• Material Cultures
How to Apply for a Studentship:
1) To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a PhD at the University of Surrey: Please apply to either our Dance http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/dance-phd or Theatre http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/theatre-phd programmes.
2) The latest you can apply, and be considered for a studentship, is midnight 18 December 2016.
3) Shortlisted for interview.
4) If accepted, you will be invited to complete a TECHNE studentship application by 16 January 2017.
Contact for further details
For full programme information and information on how to apply, please email:
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.