This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
The Department of Sociology at the University of Surrey invites applications from excellent candidates for PhD studentships covering fees (including international fees) and maintenance for October 2017 entry.
Studentship scheme for October 2017 entry:
These university-funded studentships are available for top-quality Home/EU or Overseas students, covering full tuition fees and maintenance at current UK research-council rates for a full-time PhD.
Research Environment and Areas of Study
We welcome applications from prospective doctoral students in a wide range of subject areas within sociology and related areas such as criminology and media. We cover a range of substantive areas and research methods, including qualitative research approaches, mixed methods, statistical analysis of large and complex datasets and social simulation. Key research areas include:
• Criminology and Criminal Justice;
• Developments in Methodology;
• Identities, Diversities, and the Life Course;
• Media, Culture and Communication;
• Science, Environment and Technologies
Doctoral students are extensively supported through regular supervision, a programme of regular postgraduate workshops, seminars and day schools and a variety of other training opportunities. All students also have access to desk space, with full-time students allocated to their own desk. For more details of our programme please see http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/sociology-phd
Applicants should normally hold at least an upper second-class honours degree in sociology or a related discipline and should normally have or be currently completing a relevant Masters degree. Students are initially registered for a PhD with probationary status and, subject to satisfactory progress, are subsequently confirmed as having PhD status. Non-native speakers of English are required to have IELTS 7.0 or above.
How to Apply for a Studentship:
1) Complete the studentship application form. This is available to download at: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fass/research/studentships/faculty/. The studentship form should be submitted as part of your online PhD application, listed below, as the ‘Research Proposal'.
2) Separately you also need to apply for a PhD at the University of Surrey: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/sociology-phd
3) To be considered you must have submitted the studentship form and applied for a PhD at Surrey by *midnight on 8th March 2017*.
Please email: [email protected]
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.