This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
The School of Economics at the University of Surrey is offering full-time doctoral (postgraduate research) studentships in Economics starting in October 2018. The studentships will cover tuition fees, and provide maintenance for a total of up to £17,000 pa*.
Our new premium doctoral programme comprises two years of high quality training and two years that focus on independent research. During this four-year doctoral programme you will undertake a structured, supervised programme of scholarly research leading to a thesis that makes an original contribution to knowledge and is of a standard appropriate for publication in high-quality refereed journals.
MSc or a first class (1st) Bachelors degree in Economics, or a related subject. Applications without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
There are two types of scholarships available for this programme. SeNSS Doctoral Training studentships and FASS Faculty studentships.
Deadline for PhD application to be considered for the SeNSS studentship 4pm 21 January 2018. But we strongly encourage candidates interested in this scholarship to apply for a place in our PhD by the 11th of December 2017.
• ESRC SeNSS Doctoral Training Partnership studentships: As a member of the South East Network for Social Sciences (SeNSS) Doctoral Training Partnership, the University of Surrey invites applications for Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) studentships (stipend and fee waiver). Overseas, EU and UK students are all eligible for a full award in Economics. For eligibility criteria see http://senss-dtp.ac.uk/apply-1.
All applications for this ESRC studentship scheme will also be considered for the internal studentships.
Deadline for PhD application to be considered for the FASS Faculty Studentship 4pm 18 March 2018
• Faculty Studentship: these university-funded studentships are available for top-quality Home or International students, covering tuition fees at the Home/EU rate and maintenance at current research-council rates for a total of up to £17,000 per annum for a full-time PhD. Overseas candidates are welcome to apply for the internal studentship.
How to Apply for a Studentship:
1) To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a PhD at the University of Surrey: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/economics-four-year-phd
2) Application without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
3) There is no need to contact any potential supervisors nor to submit a research proposal for the application.
4) The latest you can apply and be considered for an ESRC SeNSS studentship is 4pm 21 January 2018. Applications for internal studentships are open until 4pm 18 March 2018.
5) Invited for interview.
6) If accepted, you will be invited to complete a studentship application if applying to the ESRC scheme. If you are applying for the FASS faculty studentships in Economics there is no need to complete any specific application. All candidates that will apply by the deadline of the 18th of March 2018, providing all the documentation requested, will automatically be considered for the scholarship.
Contact for further details
For full programme information and information on how to apply, please email:
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.