This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
PhD in Interactive Media: Fee Waiver
• PhD Positions offered with fee waiver: Interactive Media Programme, the University of York. The University of York has created an ambitious new multi-disciplinary activity in Interactive Media and is investing in two fee-waiver PhD positions in this rapidly developing area of research. The fee waivers are open to both Home/EU and international applicants. We are seeking candidates who are interested in combining their technical and creative abilities to create internationally leading research outputs that have an impact on society.
• You must be able to demonstrate an excellent level of academic achievement in your career to date and a clear interest in multi-disciplinary research, which will be combined with a strong programming or mathematical ability.
• You will be joining a lively and friendly group of colleagues and will be an integral part of the Interactive Media team. Our research interests cover stereoscopic 3D, interactive film, automated storytelling, animation and the Internet of Things, but we are not seeking candidates in these areas alone. All strong candidates will be given equal consideration.
• York is establishing itself as a key center for Interactive Media research and we have strong links between groups in the University including the HCI group, the games group, the music technology group and the centre for digital heritage. The NEMOG and IGGI research initiatives both bring leading games industry contacts to York and we have strong links to the film, TV, theatre and wider creative industries both in the UK and internationally.
• The fee waivers are available from 1 April 2015. Applicants should apply online by midnight on Monday 2 February 2015 and state in their application they are interested in the Interactive Media fee waiver. Informal enquiries about the fee waivers can be made to Professor Nick Holliman ([email protected]), or on +44 1904 325233.
Departmental PhD Bursary
The Department of Theatre, Film and Television at the University of York invites applications for a bursary for PhD students. The bursary is worth £5,000 per annum for a period of three years and will commence in October 2015.
Applicants must be in receipt of an offer for a full-time place on one of the Department's two PhD programmes: PhD in Theatre, Film and Television; PhD in Theatre, Film and Television by Creative Practice. Normally, they must also begin their studies in October 2015.
This bursary is open to all home, EU and International applicants. However, anyone already in receipt of a full doctoral research studentship (e.g. AHRC, Commonwealth Scholarship Commission etc.) is ineligible. Similarly an applicant who subsequently secures such a studentship would no longer be eligible for the bursary.
The key criteria for the awarding of these bursaries will be a combination of proven academic excellence, the potential for contribution to the research culture of the department and financial need.
How to apply
Applicants should apply online for a PhD place and submit the following to Helen Whalley, Departmental Postgraduate Administrator, [email protected] no later than midnight on Monday 2nd February 2015:
- a copy of their doctoral research proposal
- a current CV
- a brief covering letter
Bursary applications should be made via e-mail.
Enquiries about the department bursaries can be made to Dr Kristyn Gorton, Director of Graduate Studies, [email protected] or on +44 1904 325222
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.