WHY STUDY FOR A DURHAM PhD?
• Intellectual freedom
• Critical thinking to the highest level
• A unique contribution to your field
• Natural curiosity
• Self development
Become a recognised expert in your chosen field on the Durham PhD. The highest academic qualification, our doctoral programme will let you take advantage of your intellectual and investigative skills; your ability to conduct rigorous research; and your expertise in analysis and appraisal. A programme to challenge and stimulate, the Durham PhD attracts exceptional students of the highest calibre.
Choose one of two routes – the integrated four-year route for recently qualified undergraduates or the three-year route for postgraduates. Whichever route you follow and whatever your ambitions, it will enable you to influence the world of business and make a unique contribution to your field. As a Durham PhD graduate, you will be in demand for academic posts in leading universities and top business schools; for consultancy in commerce and industry; and for senior management roles in private sector and government organisations.
Durham University Business School is the ideal place for you to gain your research qualification.
• Located at a World Heritage Site, Durham University is one of the oldest and most prestigious academic institutions in the UK.
• Our research spans the major disciplines of business studies, marketing, Islamic finance, accounting, finance and economics – 95% of outputs are judged to be of international standard (most recent Research Assessment Exercise, 2008).
• Studying at Durham will give you the opportunity to connect with an international community – our students and staff come from over 100 countries; around 60% of our faculty are from outside the UK.
• We work with some of the world's most admired scholars to solve the business challenges of today and the future. These partnerships enable you to network with those most respected in their field and be recognised for your contribution to business.
• Durham University is ranked a top-five UK University (the Complete University Guide 2015)
• We are a member of the European Doctoral Programmes Association in Management and Business Administration (EDAMBA). EDAMBA promotes and facilitates cooperation by providing and managing a network to exchange information and PhD candidates.
• Durham is one of an elite group of 60 business schools worldwide to have triple accreditation.
• One of the School's campuses is in the city of Durham with a UNESCO World Heritage Site at its heart. Most of our PhD students are based here, whilst Islamic Finance students study at the Durham Centre for Islamic Economics and Finance. Our other campus is the forward-looking Queen's Campus at Stockton-on-Tees where Accounting PhD research students study. At both locations you can immerse yourself in the culture, heritage and vibrant energy that the North East of England has to offer.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. It is available to citizens of a number of European countries (including the UK). In most cases this will include all EU nationals. However full funding may not be available to all applicants and you should read the full programme details for further information.