This project has a Band 3 fee. Details of our different fee bands can be found on our website. For information on how to apply for this project, please visit the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health Doctoral Academy website. Informal enquiries may be made directly to the primary supervisor.
1. The acute-phase protein PTX3 is an essential mediator of glial scar formation and resolution of brain edema after ischemic injury. (2014) Rodriguez-Grande B, Swana M, Nguyen L, Englezou P, Maysami S, Allan SM, Rothwell NJ, Garlanda C, Denes A, Pinteaux E. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 34, 802-812.
2. Summers L, Kangwantas K, Rodriguez-Grande B, Denes A, Penny J, Kielty C, Pinteaux E. (2013) Brain endothelial cells activation by interleukin-1 is regulated by adhesion to the extracellular matrix after acute brain injury.Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 57, 93-103.
3. Neutrophil cerebrovascular transmigration triggers rapid neurotoxicity through release of proteases associated with de-condensed DNA. (2012) Allen CM, Thornton P, Denes A, McColl BW, Pierozynski A, Monestier M, Pinteaux E, Rothwell NJ, Allan SM. J. Immunol. 189, 381-392.
4. Summers L, Kangwantas K, Nguyen L, Kielty C, Pinteaux E. (2010) Adhesion to the extracellular matrix is required for interleukin-1 beta actions leading to reactive phenotype in rat astrocytes. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 44, 272-281.
5. Summers L, Kielty C, Pinteaux E. (2009) Adhesion to fibronectin regulates interleukin-1beta expression in microglial cells. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 41, 148-155.