This project is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
This EPSRC Industrial CASE studentship (4 years) is open to Home/EU students. The student will spend at least 3 months in GSK's state of the art laboratories in Stevenage learning cutting edge techniques related to medicinal chemistry and chemical biology.
Candidates should have a strong background in Synthetic Organic or Medicinal Chemistry/Chemical Biology and have obtained a (i) or 2(i) [or equivalent for EU students] degree.
Candidates who are interested in this position are encouraged to send their CV and contact details of two referees to glenn.burley AT strath.ac.uk before 31st January, 2016.
1. Smith, L.D., Dickinson, R.L, Lucas,C.M., Cousins, A., Malygin, A.A., Weldon, C., Perrett, A.J., Bottrill, A.R., Searle, M.S., Burley, G.A., Eperon, I.C. "A targeted oligonucleotide enhancer of SMN2 exon 7 splicing forms competing quadruplex and protein complexes in functional conditions" Cell Reports, 2014, 9, 193-205 .
2. Fallows, A.J., Singh, I., Dondi, R., Cullis, P.M. Burley, G.A. "Highly efficient synthesis of DNA-binding polyamides using a convergent fragment-based approach" Organic Letters, 2014, 16, 4654-4657.
3. Singh, I., Wendeln, C., Clarke, A.W., Cooper, J.M., Ravoo B.J., Burley, G.A. "Sequence-selective detection of double-stranded DNA sequences using pyrrole-imidazole polyamide microarrays" Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135, 3449-3457.
4. Rajan, P.; Sudbery, I. M.; Villasevil, M. E. M.; Mui, E.; Fleming, J.; Davis, M.; Ahmad, I.; Edwards, J.; Sansom, O. J.; Sims, D.; Ponting, C. P.; Heger, A.; McMenemin, R. M.; Pedley, I. D.; Leung, H. Y. Next-generation Sequencing of Advanced Prostate Cancer Treated with Androgen-deprivation Therapy. Eur. Urology 2014, 66, 32-39.
5. Ahmad I, Patel R, Singh LB, Nixon C, Seywright M, Barnetson RJ, Brunton V, Muller WJ, Edwards J, Sansom OJ, Leung, H. Y. HER2 overcomes PTEN (loss) induced Senescence to cause Aggressive Prostate Cancer. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 2011, 108, 16392.