Unravel RNA methylome to identify key enzyme genes that directly lead to epitranscriptomic dysregulation (a Bioinformatics project)
1. The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in biology and bioinformatics related fields. Those who have very strong background in computer science or statistics are also encouraged to apply.
2. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, or an equivalent qualification, if the first language is not English.
3. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
Although the presence of chemical modifications to RNA has been established in the 1970s, due to technical limitations, not much is known so far. Compared with relatively well-studies epigenome and transcriptome, the study of epitranscriptome (currently mainly RNA methylome) is still at very early stage.
The goal of this project is to study RNA methylome and the impact of its dysregulation under disease conditions from next generation sequencing data. The role is expected to collaborate with research teams from USA, UK and China to conduct state-of-art research in the field of epitranscriptomics with advanced bioinformatics tools and work closely with scientists from various backgrounds.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): Please visit:
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email the following documents to Doctoralstudies@xjtlu.edu.cn (please put the project title and primary supervisor’s name in the subject line).
- Two reference letters
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of above 6.5 or equivalent is required
- Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr. Jia Meng (email@example.com), whose personal profile is linked below:
The PhD studentship is available for three years subject to satisfactory progress by the student. The award covers tuition fees for three years (currently equivalent to RMB 80,000 per annum) and provides a monthly stipend of 3500 RMB as a contribution to living expenses. It also provides up to RMB 16,500 to allow participation at international conferences during the period of the award. It is a condition of the award that holders of XJTLU PhD scholarships carry out 300-500 hours of teaching assistance work per year. The scholarship holder is expected to carry out the major part of his or her research at XJTLU in Suzhou, China. However, he or she is eligible for a research study visit to the University of Liverpool of up to three months, if this is required by the project.