Nguyen’s group has a research project focusing on the development of novel organocatalytic methods and applications of those in synthesis of bioactive molecules. Organocatalysis, chemical processes catalyzed by small non-metallic organic compounds, has recently emerged as one of the most promising fields in organic chemistry. It can be employed in diverse synthetic cascade sequences to quickly construct complex bonds, stereocenters and polycyclic frameworks. Organocatalysts are less expensive, more stable and exhibit superior solubility in both organic and aqueous solutions compared to organometallic/bioorganic analogues. Most importantly, organocatalysis generally gives rise to outstanding stereoselectivity, which is significantly valuable and useful at the structural engineering stage of bioactive compounds and pharmaceutical agents.
For further details on Nguyen’s group research, visit http://tvnguyengroup.wordpress.com/
Availability and Value:
This scholarship is funded by the School of Chemistry (http://www.chemistry.unsw.edu.au/) and will be offered only once. One Ph.D stipend scholarship (TAX FREE, 26,288 AUD pa, 2016 rate) is available for 3.5 years to support a student to carry out research towards a Ph.D degree in the field of Organic Chemistry under Dr. Nguyen’s supervision.
Suitable applicants will typically have a Honours degree and/or Masters degree or equivalent in Chemistry. The followings are preferred:
- At least 06-12 months of research experience in a synthetic chemistry lab.
- A sound knowledge of organic chemistry and reaction mechanism.
- Applicant with previous scientific publications in Organic Chemistry will be ranked highly.
For international applicant:
- You must possess a degree equivalent to the 1st class Honours degree in Australia to be eligible for tuition fees scholarship in addition to this stipend.
- You must have valid IELTS test results with 6.5 overall score with no band less than 6.0 for admission to the PhD program at UNSW.
How to Apply:
You must apply directly to Dr. Vinh Nguyen, preferably by email. Please include in the Subject line: “OrgCat PhD Application” and attach:
- A CV detailing your education history and academic achievement (publication, prize, etc)
- Contact details of at least two academic referees.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed in person or via Skype video conference.
Dr. Vinh Nguyen
Lecturer and DECRA fellow
Room 217 Dalton Building
School of Chemistry
The University of New South Wales
Sydney Australia 2052
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +61-2-9385 6167