Applicants should already have or be expected to obtain a First or upper Second Class degree in a relevant discipline. This studentship is fully funded for three years. It covers tuition fees at the UK/EU rate and includes a stipend at the standard Research Council rate (currently £16,296 per annum). Funding is available for UK and EU students.
1. Hoffman EP, Brown RH, Kunkel LM. (1987). Dystrophin: the protein product of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy locus. Cell. 51(6):919-28.
2. Consolino CM, Brooks SV. (2004). Susceptibility to sarcomere injury induced by single stretches of maximally activated muscles of mdx mice. J Appl Physiol. 96(2):633-8.
3. Vallejo-Illarramendi A, Toral-Ojeda I, Aldanondo G, et al. (2014). Dysregulation of calcium homeostasis in muscular dystrophies. Expert Rev Mol Med. 16:e16.
4. Chen YW, Nagaraju K, Bakay M, et al. (2005). Early onset of inflammation and later involvement of TGFbeta in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Neurology. 65(6):826-34.
5. Serrano AL, Muñoz-Cánoves P. (2016). Fibrosis development in early-onset muscular dystrophies: Mechanisms and translational implications. Semin Cell Dev Biol. pii: S1084-9521(16)30304-4.
6. Khan S, Ahirwar K, Jena G (2016). Anti-fibrotic effects of valproic acid: role of HDAC inhibition and associated mechanisms. Epigenomics 8(8):1087-101.
7. Gurpur PB, Liu J, Burkin DJ, Kaufman SJ. (2009). Valproic acid activates the PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway in muscle and ameliorates pathology in a mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Am J Pathol. 174(3):999-1008.
8. Marumo T, Hishikawa K, Yoshikawa M, et al. (2010). Histone deacetylase modulates the proinflammatory and -fibrotic changes in tubulointerstitial injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 298(1):F133-41.
9. Pang M, Zhuang S. (2010). Histone deacetylase: a potential therapeutic target for fibrotic disorders. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 335(2):266-72.
10. Van Beneden K, Geers C, Pauwels M, et al. (2013). Comparison of trichostatin A and valproic acid treatment regimens in a mouse model of kidney fibrosis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 271(2):276-84.
11. Seet LF, Toh LZ, Finger SN, et al. (2016). Valproic acid suppresses collagen by selective regulation of Smads in conjunctival fibrosis. J Mol Med. 94(3):321-34.
12. Consalvi S, Saccone V, Giordani L, et al. (2011). Histone deacetylase inhibitors in the treatment of muscular dystrophies: epigenetic drugs for genetic diseases. Mol Med. 17(5-6):457-65.
13. Star K, Edwards IR, Choonara I (2014). Valproic acid and fatalities in children: a review of individual case safety reports in VigiBase. PLoS One. 9(10):e108970.
FTE Category A staff submitted: 24.00
Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)Click here to see the results for all UK universities