This project is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
Start date: 19th September 2016
Bursary: £14057 pa for academic year 2016/17 & fees
Closing date: 21st February 2016
Requirement a good Honours degree minimum 2.1 from a UK university or acceptable equivalent from a recognised university.
EU applicants must have a valid IELTS Academic test certificate minimum score level 6 in each of the four areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking with overall minimum score 7.0 issued since the 23rd April 2015 by an approved test centre please see web site below. Or an undergraduate degree awarded by a recognised UK university within the last two years.
1. Mazzaferro S, Benallegue N, Carbone A, Gasparri F, Vijayan R, Biggin PC, Moroni M, Bermudez I. (2011) An additional ACh binding site at the α4/α4 interface of the (α4β2)2α4 nicotinic receptor influences agonist sensitivity. JBC 286: 31043-54.
2. Mantione E, Micheloni S, Alcaino C, New K, Mazzaferro S, Bermudez I. (2012) Allosteric modulators of α4β2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: a new direction for antidepressant drug discovery. Future Med Chem. 4(17):2217-30.
3. Jin X, Bermudez I, Steinbach JH (2013) The nicotinic 5 sbuit can replace either an ACh-binding or non-binding subunit in the 42* neuronal nicotinic receptor. Mol. Pharmacol. 85(1):11-7.
4. Mazzaferro S, Gasparri F, New K, Alcaino C, Faundez M, Iturriaga Vasquez P, Vijayan R, Biggin PC,Bermudez I.(2014) Non-equivalent ligand selectivity of agonist sites in (α4β2)2α4 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: a key determinant of agonist efficacy. J Biol Chem. 289(31):21795-806.
5. Sciaccaluga M, Moriconi C, Martinello K, Catalano M, Bermudez I, Stitzel JA, Maskos U, Fucile S. (2015) Crucial role of nicotinic α5 subunit variants for Ca2+ fluxes in ventral midbrain neurons. FASEB J. 29 (8):3389-98.
FTE Category A staff submitted: 25.60
Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)Click here to see the results for all UK universities