This is a fully-funded studentship open to UK students and eligible EU students who qualify for home-rated fees, in line with BBSRC criteria:
International students are welcome to apply, however tuition fees will not be funded.
Eligible students will receive a minimum annual stipend of £14,553 and university registration fees will be paid.
Students without English as a first language must provide evidence that they meet the English language requirement - eg with an IELTS score of 7.0, with no less than 6.5 in any of the subsections.
1. Rahman T., Mahapatra M., Laing E., and Jin Y. (2015). Evolutionary non-linear modelling for selecting vaccines against antigenically variable viruses, Bioinformatics, 31(6):834-840.
2. Reeve R, Blignaut B, Esterhuysen JJ, Opperman P, Matthews L, Fry EE, de Beer TA, Theron J, Rieder E, Vosloo W, O'Neill HG, Haydon DT, Maree FF. Sequence-based prediction for vaccine strain selection and identification of antigenic variability in foot-and-mouth disease virus. PLoS Comput Biol. 9; 6 (12):e1001027.
3. Bari FD, Parida S, Tekleghiorghis T, Dekker A, Sangula A, Reeve R, Haydon DT, Paton DJ, Mahapatra M (2014). Genetic and antigenic characterisation of serotype A FMD viruses from East Africa to select new vaccine strains. Vaccine. 2014 Oct 7; 32 (44):5794-800.
4. Asfor AS, Upadhyaya S, Knowles NJ, King DP, Paton DJ, Mahapatra M (2014). Novel antibody binding determinants on the capsid surface of serotype O foot-and-mouth disease virus. J Gen Virol., 95 (Pt 5):1104-16.
5. Bari FD, Parida S, Asfor AS, Haydon DT, Reeve R, Paton DJ, Mahapatra M (2015). Prediction and characterisation of novel epitopes of serotype A FMD viruses circulating in East Africa using site-directed mutagenesis. J Gen Virol., 96 (Pt 5):1033-41.