An opening for a Ph.D. or M.S./Ph.D. student position is available in the group of Robert Hoehndorf at the King Abdullah University of Science
and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
Start date: August 2018
Application deadline: Early 2018
The student will work on combining methods from Symbolic Artificial Intelligence (formal logics, rule-based systems) with machine learning and statistical approaches to data mining, and apply these methods to biomedical datasets. Major application areas include understanding molecular mechanisms underlying traits, phenotypes, and disease, and identifying ways to perturb biological systems through bioactive compounds (drugs).
The student will join a productive research team at one of the fastest-growing research universities, located in Thuwal, KSA, by the Red Sea.
- MSc degree (of BSc degree for MSc+PhD applicants) in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- Programming and software engineering experience.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- machine learning or optimization
- Big Data
- applied statistics and statistical modelling
- Semantic Technologies, knowledge representation, formal logics
Students are entitled to a competitive stipend, free, fully-furnished housing on the KAUST campus, medical and life insurance, and international education at KAUST schools for dependent children. KAUST will be responsible for the actual admission offer, stipend and benefits.
How to apply:
Full application must be submitted through the application website here.
Before applying, please send your CV and a brief letter of motivation by email to [email protected]