Coventry University Featured PhD Programmes
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Featured PhD Programmes
University of Kent Featured PhD Programmes
Norwich Research Park Featured PhD Programmes
Cardiff University Featured PhD Programmes

International PhD Funding in the UK

Finding an international scholarship or studentship to study a PhD in the UK can seem challenging. You may already have noticed that some funded projects aren’t open to international students.

But this doesn’t mean support isn’t available to you. In fact, part of the challenge of finding international PhD funding lies in making sense of a wide range of options. It’s also important to understand how UK PhD funding works in the first place.

This page will help you do both of these things.

How UK PhD funding works

If you’re searching for PhD opportunities, you’ll notice a wide variety of projects and programmes available. Some of them have funding attached and some of them don’t; some of the funded projects will be available to international students and some won’t.

What’s going on?

This potentially confusing situation occurs because of the different ways UK doctorates are funded.

Pre-funded projects

Many PhDs are created with funding already ‘attached’ (either as a partial fee waiver, or a full studentship covering tuition and living costs). This is very common in Science, Technology, Engineering and Medicine (STEM) fields, but can also occur in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.

Applying for one of these PhDs is a lot like applying for a job: the university or department will define what it is they expect the student to research and what kind of candidate they’re looking for. Successful applicants will then be accepted to do the PhD and receive the funding.

Pre-funded projects are sometimes available to international students, but there may be a catch, depending on the source of the funding involved. If a project is funded with money from a Research Council (or a similar source of UK public funding) it may only be open to applicants from the UK or EU.

Projects awaiting funding

Some PhD opportunities expect to be funded, but haven’t confirmed this. Often, these projects are competition-funded. This means that they are competing for a ‘pot’ of funding, with the most promising project (and student) being allocated support.

Other projects may be awaiting funding. This may mean that a funding decision has yet to be made, or that the supervisor expects to receive funding once they find a student.

International eligibility for these projects is the same as for funded PhDs: provided the source of the funding is available to non-UK / EU students, you should be eligible to apply.

Search for projects with international funding

You can use FindAPhD to search for funded projects available to international students? Why not take a look?

Self-proposed and / or self-funded projects

A large number of PhDs in Arts, Humanities and Social Science subjects are self-proposed projects, put forward and defined by a student as part of their research proposal. These PhDs don’t have funding attached to them in advance. Instead you’ll need to apply for funding separately from your PhD application.

Some funded (or potentially funded) projects also include an option for students to self-fund. This means that you could potentially apply for a PhD as an international student, despite not being eligible for its funding – provided you can find some alternative support.

The rest of this page will explain where to look for that.

Visas for PhD study

It's possible to work whilst studying a PhD abroad in the UK, but there are restrictions on the amount of employment you can undertake. Our guide to Tier 4 visas for PhD study provides more information.

UK Government funding

So, where should you look for financial support as an international PhD student in the UK? Let’s start with public funding from the UK Government.

Unfortunately, the main source of public PhD funding – Research Council studentships – isn’t normally available to non-EU applicants. The same is true for the UK’s new doctoral student loans.

But it’s not all bad news. The UK Government actually runs – or supports a range of doctoral funding schemes that are specifically intended for international students. Let’s take a look at some of them.

Commonwealth Scholarships

This Government-funded programme provides over 800 international scholarships for postgraduate study in the UK each year. You may be able to apply for PhD support through one of the following routes:

  • Commonwealth PhD scholarships (high income countries) – for international students who are ordinarily resident in Australia, The Bahamas, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cyprus, Malta and New Zealand to study a full-time PhD in the UK. Scholarships cover travel, along with tuition fees and living allowance. Selection is based on merit.
  • Commonwealth PhD scholarships (low and middle income countries) – for internationals students who are ordinarily resident in developing countries, including Bangladesh, Ghana, India, Mauritius, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, to study a full-time PhD in the UK. Scholarships cover travel, along with tuition fees and living allowance. Selection is based on merit, as well as the potential for graduates to contribute to the development of their home country.
  • Separate split-site scholarships are also available for students from high income or low and middle income countries to study part of a PhD in the UK, whilst registered at a university in their home country.

As well as offering generous funding, the flagship scheme also confers significant prestige on successful applicants. The Commonwealth Scholarships are supported by the UK Department for Education (DFE) and Department for International Development (DFID) and maintain a high-profile alumni network.

The Newton Fund

The Newton Fund is a partnership between the UK and selected countries, designed to improve their economic development through innovative research and training.

Two schemes provide support for PhD students:

  • Newton PhD Scholarships – are available for international students to complete a full PhD in the UK
  • Newton PhD Placements – are available for international students to study in the UK for up to one year as part of their PhD

In order to be eligible you must be a citizen of one of 17 countries: Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.

More information is available on the Newton PhD Programme website, including information for applicants from individual partner countries.

Saltire Scholarships

This scheme is offered by the Scottish Government, to international students from Canada, India, Pakistan, USA or China (including Hong Kong) for postgraduate study at universities in Scotland. Support for PhD students is available (along with Masters degrees).

A Saltire Scholarship can provide up to £4,000 towards your PhD, provided you are studying in Scotland for the first time.

Research Council funding for international students?

The main way the UK Government funds doctoral research is through Research Council studentships. Most of these aren't open to international candidates, but some exceptions apply to awards with an 'open call'. It can be worth checking with universities to see if this is the case.

International scholarships

As you've probably realised by now, international PhD funding is a very broad category, with no 'one-stop' solution for all students. However, there is a simple way to make your search simpler and that's to investigate funding for students from your country.

A wide range of scholarships are 'targeted' in this way. Some are the result of partnerships between the UK and other countries. Others are part of wider exchange schemes, encouraging students to study internationally.

Here are some of the countries with their own PhD funding options available:


The following funding is available for Australian PhD students in the UK:

  • Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships – offering support for Australian students to study abroad in a range of countries, including the UK. Scholarships provide money for tuition fees, travel, health insurance and living costs.
  • Australia Day Foundation Trust – offering support to young Australians living in the UK. Grants of up to £10,000 are available for tuition fees, based on merit and need.


The following funding is available for Canadian PhD students in the UK:


The following funding is available for Chinese PhD students in the UK:

  • GREAT Scholarships – offered by the British Council, with support for up to 150 Chinese students to begin a postgraduate course at participating universities in the UK in 2018.
  • China-Oxford Scholarship Fund – available for students from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong or Macau for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford.
  • BAFTA Scholarships – offered by the British Academy of Film & Television for Chinese students studying a postgraduate degree in the UK. Courses must be related to film, television of videogames. Scholarships offer up to £24,000 for fees and up to £10,000 for living costs each year.
  • China Scholarship Council - set up to support Chinese students living and studying abroad. Scholarships are available for PhD study, covering fees and living costs. They are normally administered by individual universities.

Hong Kong

The following funding is available for Hong Kong PhD students in the UK:

  • Hong Kong Jockey Club Scholarships – offering support for up to three students from Hong Kong to study a PhD (DPhil) at Oxford university each year. Scholarships cover fees, plus a grant for living costs.

Note that students from Hong Kong may also be eligible for some of the international funding for Chinese students, listed above.


The following funding is available for Indian PhD students in the UK:


The following funding is available for Israeli PhD students in the UK:


The following funding is available for Kuwaiti PhD students in the UK:


The following funding is available for Russian PhD students in the UK:

  • Global Education Program (GEP) - offering support from the Russian Government for students studying postgraduate courses at overseas universities, including those in the UK. Scholarships of up to 13,800,000 ₽ are available for tuition fees and living costs.


The following funding is available for American PhD students in the UK:

  • Marshall Scholarships – available for up to 40 American students to study a postgraduate course in the UK each year. Scholarships cover university fees, travel and living costs, for 2-3 years of study. Selection is merit-based, with a minimum GPA of 3.7.
  • Fulbright Postgraduate Awards – offered by the prestigious US-UK Fulbright Commission, for American students to complete a PhD (or Masters degree) in the UK. Scholarships generally cover full fees and living costs.

Regional scholarships

Some international PhD scholarships have broader eligibility criteria and are available to students from neighbouring countries or regions. Examples include:

  • Said Foundation PhD Scholarships – available to students from Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria, for PhD study at the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge. Up to two scholarships are available each year, covering full fees and living costs. Candidates must demonstrate that their course will benefit their home country.
  • Charles Wallace Trust – four separate scholarship programmes supporting students from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma to study in the UK. Funding amounts and eligibility vary for each scholarship.
  • Ibrahim Scholarships – available for African students to study postgraduate courses at partner universities in the UK.

Did we miss something?

The information above is accurate to the best of our knowledge, but it does't claim to be complete. We welcome any suggestions for other funding opportunities we might include.

Finding additional funding

Can’t see a scholarship for your country in the list above? That doesn’t necessarily mean support isn’t available. Try contacting your ministry of education and checking whether they offer support for students to study a PhD abroad.

You may also be eligible for international funding from other sources, including universities, charities and trusts. Let’s take a look at those, starting with universities.

University funding

The funding you need to study a PhD at a UK university could actually be available from that university itself.

We’ve already looked at funded projects - and explained how you can search for these on FindAPhD. But universities also offer more general PhD scholarships for students who are applying for a project without funding, or looking for support with their own PhD topic. Many are specifically designed to attract and support international students.

Finding university funding

Unfortunately, we can’t list every university scholarship here, but we’ve done the next best thing: our guide to PhD funding from universities shows you where to look for scholarships and studentships offered by institutions across the UK.

Another way to investigate funding opportunities at a specific university is to talk to them at a postgraduate study event. Funding shouldn’t be the only thing you ask about, but, if you’ve a genuine interest in doing your PhD at a particular institution, its advisors may be able to show you where to look for funding.

University scholarships

What kind of PhD funding can you get from a university and how do you go about finding it? Our guide explains what to look for and where.

Charities and trusts

A wide range of other organisations also fund PhD research. These include large scholarly trusts, business and commercial groups as well as small, specialist charities. Many of them will support PhD students, but you’ll need to know where to look.

The following may offer support for international students in the UK:

The Leverhulme Trust

The Leverhulme Trust is an independent charity that provides funding for research in all subject areas.

At PhD level, this includes a programme of Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarships, which are potentially available to international students. These provide full support for tuition fees and maintenance during a three-year PhD.

You cannot apply directly for a Leverhulme scholarship, but your university may have some of this funding available. Opportunities are often listed on FindAPhD.

The Wellcome Trust

The Wellcome Trust is another substantial charity, providing support for research in areas related to health. This can include Humanities and Social Science subjects as well as Medicine and Health Sciences.

Its Wellcome Doctoral Studentships provide full funding (including fees and maintenance) for up to three years and are available to international PhD students in the UK.

The British Heart Foundation

The British Heart Foundation funds cardiovascular research and raises awareness of heart disease and related public health issues in the UK.

It provides a range of funding opportunities, including some PhD studentships. You will normally need to apply along with your supervisor.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Set up by the founder of Microsoft and his wife, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation provides a specific Gates Cambridge scholarship. This is open to students from outside the UK looking to complete a PhD (or other postgraduate degree) at the University of Cambridge.

The Rhodes Trust

The Rhodes Trust is one of the world’s oldest international funding schemes. Its Rhodes Scholarships are available for students from specific countries to study a postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford.

Article 26

Established by the Helena Kennedy Foundation, Article 26 provides support for refugees and asylum seekers to study in the UK. This includes support for some postgraduate courses at partner universities.

PhD funding from charities

There are a wide range of charities and trusts out their with funding available for doctoral students. Find out where to start.


Hopefully this page has helped demonstrate that funding is available to you as an international PhD student (and help you find some!).

If you’re looking for more information and advice, we recommend the following:

  • UKCISA – the UK Council for International Student Affairs offers an unparalleled range of resources for international students. These include advice on your fee status and information on funding eligibility.
  • The British Council – this is the UK’s official body for international relations and educational opportunities. It provides specific portals with funding advice for students from countries around the world.
  • EURAXESS – set up up by the European Union, this programme provides information and advice to researchers (including PhD students) who are seeking to move between countries.

Finally, don’t forget the other resources here on FindAPhD. These provide advice on funding opportunities such as the EU’s Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) as well as information on other aspects of PhD study in the UK.

Last updated - 01/03/2018

This article is the property of and may not be reproduced without permission.

Click here to search our database of PhDs

FindAPhD. Copyright 2005-2019
All rights reserved.