Beijing Institute of Technology
BIT was founded in 1940 in Yan’an, Shaanxi Province and was relocated to Beijing in 1949. In 1952, the school was renamed Beijing Engineering College, the first defense industry university in the PRC. In 1988, the school was renamed Beijing Institute of Technology.
BIT now has 18 professional schools as well as Xu Teli School, Advanced Research Institute for Multidisciplinary Science, Institute of Advanced Structure Technology, Institute of Convergence Medical and Engineering, etc. Engineering, material science, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science and social sciences ranked in the top 1% of ESI international disciplines, among which engineering ranked in the top 1‰. In recent years, combined with traditional advantages and long-term development needs, BIT has focused on the construction of “5+3” subject groups—“Efficient Damage and Protection” subject group, “New Materials Science and Technology” subject group, “Complex System Perception and Control” subject group, “Delivery Equipment and Manufacturing” subject group, “Information Science and Technology” subject group and “Characteristic Science” subject group, “Convergence Medical and Engineering” subject group, “Civil-military Integration and Innovation and Development” subject group, forming the overall construction layout of “leading advantageous engineering, promoting the integration of characteristic science, assisting linkage of fine liberal arts and interacting frontier cross-innovation”. BIT now has more than 3,300 staff, including 22 academicians, 39 “Chang Jiang Scholars Program” professors, 38 winners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, 33 leader talents of the Supporting Program of Global Experts, 4 state level teachers, 6 state level teaching groups, 4 innovative teams of the National Natural Science Foundation of China and 10 innovative teams of the Chang Jiang Scholars Program. BIT has 9 state level cooperative innovation centers, state level laboratories and 6 state level research centers.