Our MPhil and PhD courses combine taught research training and applied research practice for a fully rounded student experience. You can choose to apply for a pre-defined research project or develop your own proposal. We encourage a wide range of interests and our academic staff are open to new ideas in their existing areas of research expertise.
You will join us as a junior academic colleague and contribute to forward-thinking research in one of our interdisciplinary centres.
• Centre for Space Atmospheric & Oceanic Science
• Centre for Advanced Sensor Technology
• Centre for Sustainable Power Distribution
Electronic and electrical engineering research is essential in the modern technological society. Our Department carries out basic and applied research at the frontiers of engineering and science. We take an interdisciplinary approach to global research challenges in the areas of:
• Electrical power and energy systems
• Microelectronics and optoelectronics
• Biosensors and bioengineering
• Remote sensing in space and atmospheric applications
• Imaging and tomography
• Renewable energy and energy harvesting
• Autonomous systems and robotics
• Electric vehicle systems
• Reconfigurable electronic systems
Our international impact was officially recognised in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF). 91% of our research activity was graded as either world-leading or internationally excellent.