The Edinburgh experience
The University of Edinburgh is one of the largest and most diverse universities in the UK. We host more than 40,000 students from some 156 countries studying across more than 150 academic disciplines. All our postgraduates benefit from our inspiring research culture.
The academics involved in your teaching and learning are leaders in their field, and the University is dedicated to delivering high quality, innovative teaching. Your study will be enhanced by a wealth of resources and opportunities including:
- 10 Libraries, including the third largest academic library in Europe, open 24/7
- World-leading analytical facilities including the FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility for simulating wave and tidal current interactions
- Europe’s foremost Clinical Imaging Research Facility
- The world-leading Scottish Centre for Regenerative Medicine
- One of the UK’s largest teaching hospitals
- The University’s Centre for Research Collections, one of the most important resources of its kind in the world
Our ambitious internationalisation strategy aims to provide world-class experiences for students and ensures the teaching and research we deliver offers global benefits.
We collaborate with a host of world-leading institutions in fields as diverse as e-science, engineering, life and medical sciences and arts and culture. We’re also a member of the global research network Universitas 21, and the European networks COIMBRA group, as well as UNICA, LERU, and UNA Europa. Our students are crucial to our continued success and development and, along with our staff, they forge research links through regular travel and overseas exchanges. We take pride in our partnerships with other institutions such as the California Institute of Technology, University of Copenhagen, University College Dublin, the University of Melbourne, Peking University, the University of Delhi and Zhejiang University– to name but a few.
We are ranked in the UK’s top 10 universities and in the world’s top 100 universities for the employability of our graduates.**
Our Careers Service are dedicated to developing our already strong links with employers from all sectors.
We were one of the first UK universities to develop commercial links with industry, government and the professions, and our commercialisation office, Edinburgh Innovations, has helped launch over 500 companies since 1967.
* Times Higher Education World Rankings
** Times Higher Education, Global Employability University Ranking 2019